Saturday, October 2, 2010

Yankee Stadium!

Hey Guys!


  Sorry it's been so long since my last post but I've been a tad busy! Anyway, this time I will be writing about my culinary experience at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.


  We arrived about 3:30pm for a 4:05pm start, the perfect time to EEEAAAATTTT. Walking in, let me just tell you, this place is huge! It's like a museum, but the most crowded awesome museum you've ever been to. So first thing's first, we had to try Lobel's Steak Sandwich. I've heard rave reviews so I had to check it out myself. I had to see what a $15 steak sandwich was all about. After walking in a giant circle looking for it, I finally found the butcher window and knew I was close. There was an older gentleman trimming and slicing the meat, preparing it for the sammies and next to it was a line that wrapped around itself and led to a little sandwich stand. I got on line and it took about 10 minutes to be served, not as bad as I thought. I ordered my sandwich medium rare, paid, and headed to my seats so I could start eating.


    I opened the plastic container and my first thought was,  "holy shit this thing is HUGE!" The meat was cut in quarter inch thick slices and bathed in thick brown meaty gravy slapped on a nice fluffy round bun. I had high expectations. I took my first bite and I hate to say it, but I was a little disappointed! The meat was not medium rare, I think they dipped it into the gravy for too long and overcooked it. The thickness of the meat was too much, it was tough to bite through the sandwich and chew it up. The gravy was good, but it needed some salt. The best part of the sandwich to me was the bread, which isn't a very good sign. The bread was sweet like challah and soft on the inside. The whole sandwich was too big and tough to eat like a sandwich, it was more like eating pieces of steak and then biting a piece of bread. It was so filling I had to save half for later, bad idea. The longer you let it sit there, the tougher it gets to eat. So, my overall opinion on that is...EH. I've had much better steak sandwiches, and it's really annoying because it could be so much better if they knew how to cut a piece of meat. Dayum!


   Next, I had to try the Philly Cheese Steak from Carl's Steaks, so Chris and I split it. Now we're talkin! This sandwich came piping hot, meat was smokin, cheese was perfectly melted. It looked damn good, now how did it taste? AMAZING! In fact, it was so delish, that I forced myself to eat my half of the sandwich after eating an entire Lobel's sammie. Needless to say, I was stuffed. But the meat was so tender, the cheese so perfectly creamy and salty, and the onions so sweet that I couldn't stop eating! That was the highlight of the day after the Yanks lost to the Sox 6-3 (BOO!).


Meat Man!


Lobel's 


Inside the beast


Carl's Cheesesteak


Inside the masterpiece

     So my final recommendation is to skip the line for Lobels, unless you somehow get a thin sliced masterpiece, and go for the cheesesteak at Carl's. You won't be disappointed, it'll be the best $12 you spend that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment